Human-Wildlife Conflicts

What to do?

If you or anyone else has been bitten, call 911 or local law enforcement/dispatch at (828) 359-4131. Immediately wash wounds/exposed areas with soap and clean running water for 15 minutes. Exposure should be explained to emergency services.

Otherwise, assess the situation and respond accordingly- see below.  This will determine risk levels and appropriate responses.

Assess the Situation

1. Does the animal appear to be potentially rabid?

If Yes- Call 911 or local dispatch immediately. Rabies is a viral disease. When clinical symptoms appear, rabies is virtually 100% fatal. Do not attempt to handle or dispatch the animal yourself if there are signs of rabies.

Signs of Rabies in Animals

  • Aggressiveness or unusually fearfulness- coupled with-
  • Excessive movements or agitation
  • Salivating profusely
  • Seemingly confused- aimlessly wandering or biting objects
  • Muscle spasms and unusual postures
  • Seizures (convulsions)
  • Extremely sensitive to lights and sounds- but not necessarily leaving an area.

If possible, identify the species without risking exposure. See the CDC rabies exposure web site for more information.

2. Is the animal a danger to people?

Call tribal dispatch or law enforcement at (828) 359-4131.

3. Is the animal causing damage to property?

Call tribal dispatch or law enforcement at (828) 359-4131.

4. Is the animal a protected species?

Examples- non-game wildlife, wildlife out of hunting season (i.e. deer, elk, bears) or federally listed species- bats, flying squirrels, migratory and raptor (eagles and hawks) birds. If not an emergency, Contact Natural Resources- (828) 359-6109, email-


Can You Solve this Yourself?

Feeding wildlife is the #1 reason why there are nuisance and damage issues. There are intentional feedings where people provide hand-outs or unintentional where people leave trash or intend to feed birds instead of bears. If animals are removed after an incident, and feeding remains, other animals will take their place. If animals are removed, you must cease all feeding and work to enforce any visitor feeding as well.

Although bird feeders are normally not a problem for small migratory birds, many animals are attracted to these feeders. If you have damage issues, we ask that you try to remove any feeders and do not put food out for domestic or wild animals.

Stay Clean- Clean up debris from around your property, which will translate to fewer rodents, snakes and other scavenging animals. If you have a lot of trash disturbance issues, you can purchase bear-proof trash cans. Bears and dogs often push over trash cans in our area.


Call an Outside Service 

You should not consider this section unless you have followed the above sections first.  Therefore, if it’s an emergency, you should have already called another entity. If the animal is protected per tribal code, we will work to aid landowners. If an animal is not protected by tribal code, you can call tribal dispatch, or a certified trapper or exterminator. A list of licensed trappers is regularly updated on the North Carolina Wildlife Resource Commission page ( If the issue is within the home or structure, a certified exterminator could be called as well. Because the animals are tribal resources, if outside sources are contracted, we wish to account for any activities. To further report the issue for our records- please call (828) 359-6109 or email: